When storing coffee, why use coffee containers versus the bag it came in?
There are a few aspects to crafting a good cup of Joe aside from the actual process of brewing coffee whether it be an Aeropress, French press or Chemex to name a few. Age of the bean and grind size of the beans are part of what embodies a good cup of coffee. Another element is the freshness – this is where coffee containers matter.
- To keep your beans fresh, in most cases the bag it came in won’t be enough.
- Air, moisture, heat and light all have an effect on the freshness of coffee beans.
- It’s important to store your coffee beans in a container that is air tight and solid in color/material.
If you’re like me and consume coffee while on the go (I always have at least one cup while fishing), then finding a durable container for transportation is going to also be key when looking for the right container.
Additionally, if you are going to be gone a few days – size of the container may also be a consideration.
It’s important to note that ground coffee since it is broken down becomes stale quicker than whole beans so you may want to add a portable coffee grinder to your day pack. I’ve put together a list of my top 5 coffee grinders here:
Friis Coffee Vault
The Friis Coffee Vault, available on Amazon fits the aspects I mentioned where you want a container that is durable, reduces light exposure, keeps air out and locks to eliminate spills on your journey.
What’s more is you have the option of either the 16oz or 12oz model as we’re always looking to minimize the amount we are carrying while
- Blocks sunlight
- Airtight seal
- BPA-free polymer lid
- Comes with a measuring spoon
- Valve vents to extract CO2 gases
- Stainless steel
- Dimensions: 5.5” height x 5.5” width
Airscape Coffee Container
Built for longer trips, this 32oz coffee canister will provide you with enough storage for your coffee beans while keeping those beans fresh as a result from it’s adjusting valve that presses down against the beans as more are consumed.
While the lid provides opportunity for sunlight to shine through, the locking portion of the Airscape Coffee Container (click to check current price on Amazon) that forces air out is solid black blocking the sun exposure.
The stainless steel provides the durability you will needs while you venture out for a few days.
- Removes and locks out air
- Restaurant grade stainless steel + enamel paint finish
- Clear lid to see quantity remaining
- 32oz or ½ pound of beans
- Dimensions: 4” height x 4.5” width
Coffee Gator Stainless Steel Canister
What is considered an upper end coffee canister, the Coffee Gator (link to Amazon) fits the needs of those on the go.
The container is stainless steel, keeps sunlight out along with the lid which removes CO2 gases and locks out air.
The medium size holds 16oz of coffee beans and the locking mechanism adds to the case for this canister to be the perfect option to fit in you backpack – spill free. Plus, the Coffee Gator is one of the nicest looking portable coffee containers on the market.
- Medium holds 16oz of beans
- Stainless steel
- Freshness valves emits harmful CO2 & locks out air
- Lid wheel is a calendar for purchase or expiry date
- -Multiple colors & Sizes
- Dimensions: 6” height x5” width
Tightpac America Coffeevac
A more inexpensive option, the Tightpac Coffeevac (link to Amazon) coffee canister provides everything you need.
Tightpac’s version of an air tight durable coffee canister is lightweight made out of BPA-free plastic and holds a ½ lb of coffee.
An alternative to the image displayed, you may want to go with a solid color versus the translucent to keep those harmful rays away from your coffee beans.
- Vacuum seal lid that allows CO2 to escape
- Vacuum seal keeps air out
- Easy one push button to seal
- *Handwash only
- Dimensions: 5” height x 5” width
Holding 19 ounces of coffee in the smallest size, the Ankomn provides a lightweight durable plastic option with a fantastic easy to using sealing capability. Just looking for an option to keep your beans fresh without breaking the bank? Check out the Ankomn Turn-N-Seal on Amazon.
- Holds 19 ounces
- UV proof
- Pulls air from container with a simple dial turn
- Lid secures whether vacuum sealed or not
- Multiple sizes available
- Dimensions: 4” height x 4” width
The Bottom Line On Portable Coffee Containers
Out of the options reviewed, it really comes down to what you are willing to spend. Regardless of whichever option you choose, coffee containers will keep your coffee fresh.
If you’re making an effort to make coffee in the great outdoors then why not go the extra step and make sure it’s fresh and dry?