Before getting into my recommendation of the 5 best coffee grinders for those that spend a fair amount of time in the outdoors, I thought it would be a good idea to talk about why you would take a grinder with you versus grinding your beans in advance and what to look for in a manual coffee grinder:
Why Bring a Coffee Grinder with you?
Oxidation occurs in coffee which produces aromatic oil evaporation, enhancing the flavor. If you grind your beans in advance, the oxidation process happens right away and can penetrate the small particles, lessening the vivid flavor of the coffee by the time you drink it.
Each method of making coffee requires different grind sizes, the French Press will require course sized coffee grind, while fine grinds are suited for a Turkish coffee pot.
What to look for in a Manual Coffee Grinder:
Consistent grounds need to be a focus. There are two common grinder types:
- Blades – These chop the beans into pieces alright, but produce inconsistent grind sizes, altering the level of oxidation and are not preferred.
- Burr – Burr grinders offer consistent grind sizes for better taste, since temperature and timing of the water are also key, the interaction needs to be consistent across surface areas. Burr’s are the best choice for optimal coffee brewing.
Also note that when selecting a Burr style grinder you can choose between steel burrs and ceramic burrs. Both are a better choice than blade grinders, but be aware that steel burrs can dull after time creating inconsistent ground coffee as well as the heat from the steel can alter your coffee’s taste.
Now that we know the importance of bringing a coffee grinder with you and the types of coffee grinders available, let’s layout a few considerations since we spend our time fishing, camping or backpacking in the outdoors:
- Durable (prefer steel or plastic versus glass)
- Grind capacity (are you serving for yourself or others, what method are you using to brew?)
- Quality (Low quality grinders can take a while to achieve your grind size)
Below are our recommendations based on the above:
1. ALOCS Portable Outdoors Coffee Grinder
2. Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Mini-Slim
3. Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder
Purchase here: https://www.amazon.com/Porlex-Mini-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0044ZA066/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1512874507&sr=8-2&keywords=porlex+jp-30&linkCode=sl1&tag=travelcoffeeg-20&linkId=9093d7ca7b5b4cd35acb138b2949f1b0